Anne-Maree Schwarz is the Team Leader for the NZAID funded Institutional Strengthening Programme in the Solomon Islands’ Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources and an Honorary senior fellow at ANCORS. Anne-Maree gained a PhD in aquatic ecology from the University of Auckland in 1997. She has worked as a research scientist since that time from New Zealand, Israel and Solomon Islands. Working for WorldFish since 2005, leading the CGIAR Aquatic Agricultural Systems - Solomon Islands Programme from 2012-2015, Anne-Maree has been conducting action research for development in rural Solomon Islands; working with communities, national and international researchers on coastal resource management and governance; and on capacity building activities with Solomon Islands researchers. With more than 50 publications in the primary science literature, her interests lie in participatory research that improves locally relevant sustainable development.
- Blythe, J., Sulu, R., Harohau, D., Weeks, R., Schwarz, A., Mills, D., Phillips, M. (2017) Social dynamics shaping the diffusion of sustainable aquaculture innovations in Solomon Islands. Sustainability 9(1).
- Sukulu, M., Orirana, G., Oduagalo, D., Waleilia, B., Sulu, R., Schwarz, A., van der Ploeg, J., Eriksson, H. (2016). Management over ownership: modern community cooperation in Langalanga Lagoon in Solomon Islands. SPC Bulletin. 37: 13-21.
- Orirana, G., Siota, F., Cohen, P., Aitete, T., Schwarz, A., Govan, H. (2016) Spreading community-based resource management: Testing the “lite-touch” approach in Solomon Islands. SPC Bulletin 37:3-12.
- Harohau, D., Sulu, R., Philips, M., Sukulu, M., Pickering, T., Schwarz, A. (2016) Improving household tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) aquaculture in Solomon Islands through a participatory action research approach. Aquaculture 465:272-286.
- Selig, E. R., Kleisner, K. M., Ahoobim, O., Arocha, F., Cruz-Trinidad, A., Fujita, R., Hara, M., Katz, L., McConney, P., Ratner, B. D., Saavedra-Díaz, L. M., Schwarz, A.-M., Thiao, D., Torell, E., Troëng, S. and Villasante, S. (2016), A typology of fisheries management tools: using experience to catalyse greater success. Fish Fish. doi:10.1111/faf.12192.
- Douthwaite, B., Apgar, J.M., Schwarz, A., McDougall, C., Attwood, S., Senaratna Sellamuttu, S. Clayton, T, eds. (2015). Research in development: Learning from the CGIAR Research Program on Aquatic Agricultural Systems. Penang, Malaysia: CGIAR Research Program on Aquatic Agricultural Systems. Working Paper: AAS-2015-16.
- Schwarz, A., Cole, S.M., Downing, B., Perez, M.L., Kamp, K., Crissman, C., Johnstone, G., Paz-Ybarnegaray, R., Aleem, N., Apgar, M., Faruque, G., Rodericks, A., Longley, C., Lunda, J., Mulele, S., Muyaule, C., Mulanda, A., Mwasi, D., Nasilele, F., Songe, M.M., Sumaya, M.A.D., Wang, J., Ward, A., Waters-Bayer, A. (2015) Collaborating for development impact: Learning from research partnership experiences. In Douthwaite et al (eds) Research in development: Lessons from the CGIAR Research Program on Aquatic Agricultural Systems. Penang, Malaysia: CGIAR Research Program on Aquatic Agricultural Systems. Working Paper: AAS-2015-16.
- Sulu, R.J, Eriksson, H., Schwarz, A., Andrew, N., Orirana, G., Sukulu, M., Oeta, J., Harohau, D., Sibiti, S., Toritela, A., Beare, D. (2015) Livelihoods and Fisheries Governance in a Contemporary Pacific Island Setting. PLoS ONE DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0143516.
- Albert, J., Olds, A., Albert, S., Cruz-Trinidad, A., Schwarz, A. (2015). Reaping the reef: Provisioning services from coral reefs in Solomon Islands. Marine Policy 62 (2015) 244–251.
- Albert, J., Beare, D., Schwarz, A., Albert, S., Warren, R., Teri, J., Siota, F., Andrew, N. (2014). The Contribution of Nearshore Fish Aggregating Devices (FADs) to Food Security and Livelihoods in Solomon Islands. PLoS ONE 9(12): e115386. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0115386.
- Schwarz, A., James, R., Teioli, H.M., Cohen, P. Morgan, M. (2014). Engaging women and men in community based resource management processes in Solomon Islands. Penang, Malaysia: CGIAR Research Program on Aquatic Agricultural Systems. Case Study: AAS-2014-33.
- Abernethy, K., Bodin, O., Olsson, P., Hilly Z., Schwarz, A. (2014). Two steps forward, two steps back: The role of innovation in transforming towards community based marine resource management in Solomon Islands. Global Environmental Change. 28: 309–321.
- Waycott, M., McKenzie, L., Mellors, J. Ellison, J., Sheaves, M., Collier, C., Schwarz, A., Webb, A. (2011) Chapter 6. Vulnerability of mangrove, seagrass and bare soft substrata ecosystems in the tropical Pacific to climate change. In J. Bell, J. Johnson and A. Hobday (Eds) Vulnerability of Tropical Pacific Fisheries and Aquaculture to Climate Change. SPC Noumea.
- Schwarz, A., Béné, C., Bennett, G., Boso, D., Hilly, Z., Paul, C., Posala, R. Sibiti, S., Andrew, N. (2011) Vulnerability and resilience of remote rural communities to shocks and global changes: empirical analysis from the Solomon Islands. Global Environmental Change 896.